Saturday, August 8, 2009

Convergence Culture Chapters 1-2

As I was growing up, I was one of those kids who paid close attention to commercials. Saturday mornings when I would wake up at the crack of done, I looked forward to Snap, Crackle and Pop singing my morning in with perfect harmony with my gracious bowl of cereal. Cereal commercials were my favorite and whatever commercial I liked best that morning determined what cereal I would ask my mom for when the current box was close to empty. I realized then how much of an influence marketing was on me at that point especially when conversations about Saturday morning commercials ensued in the vacant lot during pick-up baseball games. What interested me most what when I noticed when certain commercials would play. I recalled never seeing cereal commercials during the afternoon programs; Transformer commercials during G.I. Joe and G.I. Joe commercials during Transformers. As I'm reading Convergence Culture by Henry Jenkins, I can recollect G.I. Joe battle plans we would concoct based on the commercials and the television show itself. I we were the "Loyals" that Jenkins referred to when he talked about the marketers looking at the emotional, social and intellectual aspect of the consumer. But, as soon as the battles became redundant, we became emotionally detached thus spelling the end of Optimus Prime and G.I. Joe with the kung fu grip. Until today where marketers re-engaged our generation by bringing the nostalgia to the 21st Century. Stephen Sommers and Michael Bay have listened to the "inspirational consumers", you know, the ones who still have all of their orginal G.I. Joe and Transformer action figures and once again allowed them to relive our moments and, at least for me, watch my own boys take my old toys and compare them with the new age figures and re-enact the same battles. Yes, I'm sure it will get old for them to, just like Survivor and American Idol and died off in many "been there done that" spirits, but somebody will find something to reconnect the people emotionally to draw us... or them back in.

No comments:

Post a Comment